Linnaeus

Linnaeus's genius was that he managed to systematically organize the natural world. It was something that was needed. It had never been done.

I remember being a member of the Linnean Society. It is tucked in the courtyard of the Royal Academy. Going there, on several occasions, on early visits to London, I felt I was entering a refined world....a world which held secrets not only to the natural world, but also to my future...not to mention the auspicious approaches of science and Britain's heritage in the scientific tradition (dating back to the Enlightenment).

I reflected - when I returned to India this time - on the significance of organizing one's priorities and what an interesting character Linnaeus was in this respect. His whole life was dedicated to organization. Any great achievement takes serious preparation and serious preparation takes serious organization...

Blog Archive

About me

My photo
India
Mind is the closest thing to our Reality...Be careful how you use it. Businessman, yogi, teacher, addicted to laughing...