Why is my idea of God not objectivity? Please enlighten......
BECAUSE TO BE OBJECTIVE YOU NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING - ALL FACTORS AND YOU, THAT WHICH IS OBSERVING, MUST NOT INTERFERE WITH THE EXPERIMENT, WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE (cf: Schrodinger's cat).
FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU ARE 3 AND THIRSTY - BLEACH IS AS GOOD AS LEMONADE TO YOUR EYES.
WHEN YOU ARE OLDER YOU SEE THE FOLLY OF THIS AND KNOW THAT LEMONADE IS THE ONLY THING YOU COULD DRINK.
NOW, EQUALLY - WHAT IS TO SAY THAT, WITH MATURITY AND INSIGHT - WE WILL SEE THE LIMITED UNDERSTANDING (OR RATHER OUR MIS-UNDERSTANDING OF THINGS) OUR BELIEFS PRESENTLY FEED US? OBJECTIVITY IS A DANGEROUS IDEAL. BUT RIGHT PERCEPTION IS A REALISTIC AND NECESSARY GOAL.
What does my belief system presuppose? Please enlighten.......
IT PRESUPPOSES THAT THERE IS A GOD. EVEN WHEN THERE MAY NOT BE ONE. AND THEN YOU GO AHEAD AND BELIEVE IN HIM AND YOU CEASE TO BE ABLE TO LOOK WITH AN OPEN MIND. YOU NEVER STOPPED TO QUESTION THIS. THE WHOLE CONSTRUCT OF YOUR SEARCH IS BASED ON AN IDEA THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE RIGHT. IT'S LIKE 'A WIZARD OF OZ' COMPLEX; YOU BELIEVE THERE IS A HIGHER BEING - BUT YOU DON'T KNOW UNTIL YOU HAVE MET AND TESTED HIM IF THIS IS ACTUALLY TRUE. THIS IS WHY EXPECTATIONS INTRUDE ON LOVE. LOVE IS PERPETUALLY INNOCENT (from an I Ching commentary: "to express one's self strongly and openly and unexpectedly is an act of innocence since it comes from the heart and thus is not premeditated (a moment of enlightenment)" - BELIEF BY DEFINITION IS PREMEDITATED). OUR IDEA OF GOD - AND THE REALITY OF THINGS CAN BE RADICALLY DIFFERENT THINGS - JUST AS THE POPULAR IDEA OF THE WIZARD OF OZ BLINDED DOROTHY. SHE FIGURED OUT THAT HE WAS NOT ALL HE WAS CRACKED UP TO BE....HE HAD HIS FLAWS TOO. POINT BEING DON'T BELIEVE RHETORIC, DON'T BELIEVE THE BRAIN CHATTER. FIND OUT WHAT BELIES APPEARANCES; ESPECIALLY UNFOUNDED BELIEFS...THIS APPROACH IS THE ESSENCE OF HYPOTHESIS AND THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD.
I CONCUR WITH YOU ON ONE POINT. IT IS AN ORDERED UNIVERSE. BUT IT IS DEFINATELY NOT A PERFECT UNIVERSE. PERFECTION IMPLIES FREEDOM FROM CONSEQUENCES.
You say that certain things are facts. What is a fact? Something that is provable beyond doubt....doesn't that involve belief?
NOTHING CAN BE PROVED.
SCIENCE IS THE DOMAIN OF DISPROVING. READ KARL POPPER. SCIENTIFIC THEORY HAS BEEN FOUNDED ON THIS SINCE THE DAYS OF ARISTOTLE...
THE REALM OF THE MYSTIC IS TO FORGE A RELATIONSHIP WITH SPONTANEITY - WHICH IS OF ANOTHER DIMENSION ALTOGETHER. BELIEF SYSTEMS CLOUD SUCH ENDEAVORS. PERIOD.
A FACT IS AN UNAVOIDABLE REALITY OF CONDTIONED EXISTENCE.
Data comes to us and we find it comforting to say this is a fact and that is a fact.
NO THERE IS NO COMFORT IN FACTS - THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF THEM. THEY ARE NEITHER COMFORTING NOR DISCOMFORTING. THEY JUST ARE. A BELIEF ON THE OTHER HAND IS OF THE REALM OF CONJECTURE AND HENCE OF LIMITED VALUE (AND CAN BE DOWNRIGHT INTRUSIVE) IN FACING WHAT IS.
...but do we stop to think what a 'fact' is? The 'fact' is you could be a brain in a box, for all you know, and there is no way of proving that you are not.
TRUE - I CAN PROVE NOTHING TO YOU.
I CAN BE AWARE OF SOMETHING WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY AND HAVE NO NEED TO PERSUADE ANOTHER OF IT - HENCE THE RECURRING THEME OF THE STORY OF "DOUBTING THOMAS."
WHEN WE EXPERIENCE THAT WHICH IS REAL - NO ONE CAN ALTER THAT EXPERIENCE WITH MERE WORDS. THEY CAN REFUTE IT OR CONCUR WITH IT - BUT THAT DOES NOT ALTER OUR CORE RELATONSHIP WITH THAT WHICH IS REAL. A RELATIONSHIP WITH REALITY IS WHAT I SEEK; NOT BELIEFS IN REALITY. UNTIL I COME UPON REALITY ALL BELIEFS ARE SUSPENDED. IF I COME UPON REALITY - WHAT USE WILL BELIEFS BE THEN? THEY WON'T BE USEFUL. PERIOD. eg "I BELIEVE IN FOOD." NONSENSE! THAT WON'T FEED ME. I EAT. THAT FEEDS ME. NOTHING ELSE. BELIEFS ARE CHUMP.
Facts, they are so nice and lovely. With them I don't have to believe ..........that way I feel secure........
WHAT IS SECURE ABOUT THE FACT OF A TSUNAMI OR DEATH?
- ► 2008 (31)
- Appointment for coffee in 60 days
- creative unease
- Social computer networks
- Finding a Community
- Dialogue about Belief
- Hexagram 25, encore un fois
- Hexagram 25 : The Reflection of the Self - the Ess...
- Is Shakespeare right?
- In Search of Healing
- To be or not to be
- End to Suffering
- Van der Post on the Evolution of the European Mind...
- The Mastery of Yoga
- Etymology of Honeymoon
- From Colin
- The Story of Puss in Boots
- What does yoga mean to me?
- The Importance of Space from work
- March 2005
- A lucky man
- Facing the demons of what we judge as unpleasant o...
- The Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles - an Anecdot...
- A WISH TO GO DEEPER
- Inspiration from the I Ching
- dance an amazing language the swimming discourse...
- Clay and Molding things
- For Jeff
- Fire and Wind
- The Wedding of Contrasts
- Go Your Way
- Community appears to be a powerful healing force
- Dream of a lifetime
- Busing in Hungary
- A traveler
- Dreams speak from within and without
- Pushing buttons
- Holy Cows make the best meat!
- Carolyn Myss and her Spriritual Tours
- Notes from a recent dialogue
- Christmas Day 2005
- Life: your mission should you accept it...
- In time of Cold...the Leaves will fall.
- Iraq and Vietnam
- The only thing in my way is myself...
- Died twice already today and it's not time for lun...
- Preliminary List of interesting dance styles
- Note to Nick
- New Year's Resoluton - numbers 187, 188, 189
- Socrates, you're' the man!
- Passion - men or women do it best?
- Life's essentials
- Happy Pongal
- understanding of the times
- Bottom Line
- Poem by Darius
- The dark side of India
- Education that values love
- Relationships as Mirrors
- Human Ecdysis
- Gratefulness and direction
- Why we travel
- What we come to treasure
- Christmas Cards
- The Legacies of our parents
- Flowers in the garden
- Going home
- Extracts from a Letter to an old schoolmaster afte...
- Thoughts on the benefits of Money
- Contemplations on Order and Chaos
- I did the show
- Why do men have nipples? Teaching in Czech Republi...
- Why transformation means something...
- Night and Day and Activity
- What is aging?
- Question for a friend:
- I'd rather be a Devil
- Recipe to Grow: Pit yourself against impossible Od...
- Living a full Life
- "Colours" by Victoria Finlay
- Inspiring words from Doctor in Tehran
- A Word from Iyke
- Attention must be Paid!
- The Phoenix
- ▼ January (101)
- ► 2005 (199)