Dancing

I just went dancing at a club in India this evening - music was a little passe -hindi pop remixes and dance tracks - but it was fun.

I guess I need to figure out how to dance to the Hindi remix stuff. It was funny watching Indians dance do that stuff. It felt like the whole club suddenly were imitating a bad Bollywood flick - lots of gesticulating arms and swaggering hips. I find dance amazing - it's like a form of language...And it intrigues me in India - (especially Tamil Nadu) - a culture that can be quite Victorian in its attitude. I mean dance here is largely a spectator sport...and traditional dancing is amazing to watch. But as a culture the general populace seem quite disconnected to dance. Sad.
The beat of a drum has profound possibilities to liberate and transmute our consciousness.

I think the Bollywood dancing that is so popular - would make more sense to me if I spoke Tamil or Hindi...I am not sure though if India has their version of salsa or ballroom or jazz - I mean a dance form for couples. All the dancing that comes out of the movies seems to be more like a dramatic language, with lots of face slapping from angry women lead actors. The guy always seem to turn up with 300 dancers skipping the hullabaloo in a paddy field - more akin to the sociology of some game bird species than a dance stlyle. I guess I need to get myself a rice farm and a few thousand twirling beauties. :)

It was sad to see all these mooses on the edges of the dance floor. My definition of moose: big haystacks of designer labels, smoking and drinking, and who have been swallowed up by the escapist bar drone thing - beer in one, hand cigerette in the other. All about the look. No connection to the spirit of the music or themselves -"look at me" is the look they tend to wear - and then there are the big bellied socialites who do the beer dance...Well, there is not much dancing involved - all you have to do is hold a beer and look semi-interested in people getting swetty around you. Middle aged, overweight men do that number very well. The more annoying ones take away dance space on the dance floor.

Now that's a moose - the kind of thing a pickup truck in canada hits on a snowy night - really making a downer of your evening - as the front of your car is now scrap metal - and the glum moose is chowing cud still in the middle of the road - wondering what metal moose behind him is trying to mount him without abiding the usual mating rites....! gah! Mooses!

On a serious note, it has long been a dream of mine to sweep a woman off the dance floor - something just right about it - I believe i need to go to charm school - hah! It frightens the bejesus out of me.

I am resolute to master some dance syle...It will be interesting to see which one I pick. I imagine it will pick me. Contemporary or jazz or something like that to expand my personality into places that just make my inhibitions seriously cringe...always good to take a chainsaw to the old inhibitions. That's a big part of Aghora - the religion which focuses on transformation of personality...

Blog Archive

About me

My photo
India
Mind is the closest thing to our Reality...Be careful how you use it. Businessman, yogi, teacher, addicted to laughing...