Cradle to Cradle - Remaking the Way We Make Things
By William McDonough & Michael Braungart
North Point Press, 2002
William McDonough's new book, written with his colleague, the German chemist Michael Braungart, is a manifesto calling for the transformation of human industry through ecologically intelligent design. Through historical sketches on the roots of the industrial revolution; commentary on science, nature and society; descriptions of key design principles; and compelling examples of innovative products and business strategies already reshaping the marketplace, McDonough and Braungart make the case that an industrial system that "takes, makes and wastes" can become a creator of goods and services that generate ecological, social and economic value.
In addition to describing the hopeful, nature-inspired design principles that are making industry both prosperous and sustainable, the book itself is a physical symbol of the changes to come. It is printed on a synthetic 'paper,' made from plastic resins and inorganic fillers, designed to look and feel like top quality paper while also being waterproof and rugged. And the book can be easily recycled in localities with systems to collect polypropylene, like that in yogurt containers. This 'treeless' book points the way toward the day when synthetic books, like many other products, can be used, recycled, and used again without losing any material quality—in cradle-to-cradle cycles.
- ► 2008 (31)
- ► 2006 (147)
- He is a man for whom the word "impossible" does no...
- India frustrates me
- The essential nature
- Family Life
- Idealism meets Reality in Washington and Iraq
- Extract from My Father The Spy
- I want to the best at something meaningful
- Most of us die without opening that door.
- The end of Misery
- The Many "I's"
- Further reflections on Ruskin....and Lord Siva
- Waste Not Want Not
- Doubts....doubts, they will come...
- And God said "Be nice to your wife."
- Today's World - the Opposite of Love
- I AM presence
- Book recommendation - towards a cleaner world
- Kill the ego!
- Meditations on Loyalty
- Economist Blames Aid for Africa Famine
- ▼ August (23)