Gandhi once raised the question - Why the hell you call me a Mahatma?
Well, I doubt he used the word hell - but he had a damn fine point.
Mahatma means "perfected being."
Gandhi did not think of himself as a perfected being.
He said (paraphrasing) - Look people wake up! I am no mahatma. My only strength lies in being conscious of my shortcomings.
How nice to hear that. I think it's one of the most beautiful things I have heard in a long, long while.
So you think you are perfect do you?
What about your left foot - it's slightly bigger than your right foot! Your nose leans a little to the left and your taste in shirts is terrible! You need to sack your fashion designer or get rid of your "bad taste" gene. I mean what's with that haircut?!
Perfection is a snoozing elephant dreaming of being washed in a nice hot tub - whilst being washed in nice hot tub whilst sleeping - and then waking up to realise that his dream is actually happening! Could you scrub behind my left ear please?
- ► 2008 (31)
- ► 2006 (147)
- The Indian Blockbuster of the Summer:
- The World of Tomorrow - Lessons From the Life of a...
- A love not of this world
- Ah beautiful!
- The heart is a lonely hunter
- To what degree can another human being affect us
- Condoleeza Rice and the future of the World
- Illogical India
- A plumber in India
- The Indian trains website
- Gandhi the Mahatma
- Don't waste anything.
- Death comes quickly
- Dreams and Good luck a la Beethoven
- Can you place a value on the best of yourself?
- On Nikos Kazantzakis
- Keep the bowl empty of the yesterday.
- What is comedy?
- Beyond Separation
- A few worthy aphorisms
- Seeing differently
- Love will find you
- Guidance in meditation
- I would do anything for love
- The Poet in us
- Can wrong perception bring happniness?
- Tribute to Nick Drake - Air Heavy with a Memory
- ▼ July (33)